- Curriculum & Subjects
- Computing & Digital Literacy and Business Studies
- Ethical Studies
- Modern Foreign Languages
- Performing Arts
- Physical Education
- Psychology (A level only)
- Examination Dates and Timetable
- Learning Support SEN
- Most Able Students
- Show My Homework
- Learning Gateway/Parent App
- Career of the week - Art Director (11/2/19)
- Career of the week - Environmental Scientist (18/03/2019)
- Career of the week - Concept Development Chef (25/2/19)
- Career of the week - Beauty Therapist (18/2/19)
- Career of the week - Pollinator (11/3/19)
- Career of the week - Music Licensing Assistant (4/3/19)
- Career of the week - Games Developer (4/2/19)
modern foreign languages
‘La connaissance des langues est la porte de la sagesse’
(Knowledge of languages is the doorway to wisdom)
Students at Weston Road Academy have the life-changing opportunity to study French for 2 ½ hours each week. Linguistic ability in professions such as journalists, doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs and engineers enables you to stand out and succeed in an increasingly demanding and competitive workplace. Our team of experienced language teachers share their passion for languages and encourage the discovery of new cultures. Students learn through a variety of resources and authentic materials and lessons are active and rewarding. We subscribe to Doddle and Linguascope to offer students the opportunity to use IT to enhance learning outside the classroom.
Key Stage 3
In Key Stage 3, we study a variety of topics including food, school, holidays and hobbies. Lessons focus on both vocabulary and grammar and feature a variety of tasks and games.
Students are assessed four times a year in each of the four skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing. In Year 8, students sit an exam prior to the option process.
As language learning is more effective little and often, we set a 15 minute homework each week. This may be written, IT based or learning.
Each September, we celebrate European Day of Languages and Year 7 students will take part in competitions. Many teachers from other departments get involved and will speak to the students in different European Languages.
Some Year 8 students are lucky enough to get a place on the Paris trip which takes place in June. (more information in KS4)
In order to support Year 7 with the transition to High School, we offer a French homework club every Monday lunchtime, where students can receive any help they want or need.
Key Stage 4
Students follow the AQA French GCSE course: Spec code: 8658
GCSE French has a Foundation Tier (grades 1–5) and a Higher Tier (grades 4–9). Students must take all four question papers at the same tier.
The exam is split between 4 papers:
- Listening 25%
- Reading 25%
- Speaking 25%
- Writing 25%
Students study all of the following themes on which the assessments are based.
As language learning is more effective little and often, we set a 30 minute homework each week.
- Paris trip offered to Year 9 students in June(4 days in Paris, including cultural opportunities, a day in Euro Disney and opportunities to practise speaking French.)
- French Exchange programme offered to all our Y10 students. We are part of the Staffordshire programme and our students visit the Limousin region of France in April, whilst their French partners come to Stafford in July.
https://www.doddlelearn.co.uk (students receive a user name and password)
Miss W Veasey Subject Leader in MFL email@example.com
Mr P Harman Teacher of MFL firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs C Lane Teacher of MFL email@example.com